You are here
About the Local Government Group
The Local Government Association is the national voice for local authorities and works alongside the following partner organisations to promote better local government:
- Local Government Improvement and Development
- Local Government Employers
- Local Government Regulation (previously LACORS)
- Local Partnerships
- Local Government Leadership
This group of organisations, known as the LG Group, works with and on behalf of the local government sector, and looks to councils for leadership. We are politically led, politically active and cross party and we work as one to assist councils and their partners to improve public services and strengthen local democracy.
We seek to support the sector to:
- become more self-determining
- enhance its responsibilities and reputation
- be free from disproportionate central government regulation
- act self confidently in pursuit of local authorities
- work effectively with the public and in partnership with government and others.
Each organisation has a distinct and unique role with individual expertise and specialisms, but all have a common purpose: to work together to offer comprehensive and affordable programmes to help build local government capacity and address the challenge of improvement. The LG Group organisations are committed to working together to support local government more efficiently and effectively.